OGC is suggesting the following content for the business case
Description of the business need and its contribution to the organisation's business strategy
- Why it is needed now
- Key benefits to be realised
- Critical success factors and how they will be measured.
- High level cost/benefit analysis of (ideally) at least three options for meeting the business need
- Include analysis of 'soft' benefits that cannot be quantified in financial terms
- Identify preferred option and any trade-offs.
This section is applicable where there is an external procurement; this section outlines the potential deal.
- Proposed sourcing option with rationale for its selection
- Key features of proposed commercial arrangements (e.g. contract terms, contract length, payment mechanisms and performance incentives)
- The procurement approach/strategy with supporting rationale.
- Statement of available funding and 'ballpark' estimates of projected whole-life cost of project
- Including departmental costs (where applicable).
- High level plan for achieving the desired outcome, with key milestones and major dependencies (e.g. interface with other projects)
- Outline contingency plans e.g. addressing failure to deliver service on time
- Major risks identified and outline plan for addressing them
- Provider's plans for the same, as applicable, skills and experience required.